Monday, September 2, 2013

For the Least of His People

“And the king will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.’” (Matthew 25:40, NRSV)

St. Mark's Episcopal Church, Springfield, VT
About halfway through my journey of the Diocese of Vermont, I begin to recognize certain patterns emerging.  Our parishes are a lot like individual people and have individual characteristics.  Some are very cautious and act only after due consideration and prayer, while others are willing to take a blind leap of faith and risk taking a misstep.  Some employ careful interpretation of all Jesus’ teachings, using the full extent of Biblical content when determining their own ministries and actions in the world.  Others have the sense that the two Great Commandments are simple enough to interpret and rely on the Holy Spirit to guide them on their actions, trusting that if they live those commandments, then what they do is God’s work.  Most parishes fall somewhere in between those two extremes an rely on certain passages more than others as relevant to their mission.  Willard Jabusch’s song setting of Matthew 25:40 repeating again and again in my head.  For it struck me that this passage most describes the mission and actions of St. Mark’s Church.
As I visited St. Mark’s Church in Springfield, I heard the refrain from

“for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,” (Matthew 25:35)

images at St. Mark's, Springfield
My visit to St. Mark’s began in July when I called their Sr. Warden (for, like many others, the congregation is in transition and does not have a priest serving with them).  Boris von York not only encouraged me to come visit St. Mark’s at any time, he extended his and the parish’s welcome even further by making a visit to me!  I was a stranger whom he made welcome by visiting me.  I could not turn away from this invitation.  He told me of the congregation’s practice of holding a simple agape meal on the last Sunday of each month and encouraged me to visit in August if my schedule could arrange it.  My schedule did, but I rather rudely neglected to confirm my visit, so my arrival on August 25 was a bit of a surprise.  But I was made to feel my presence was a welcome and happy occasion.  Boris was to lead Morning Prayer at worship that morning, so he was occupied with other matters when I first arrived.  So his wife, Pearl, and several other congregants greeted me and welcomed me with warm sincerity. Again during the service, I was introduced by name as a welcome and special guest.  But even more welcoming than the words were the actions.  Everyone stayed after the service for the agape meal and made me feel even more important, for they listened to my story and shared with me theirs.  And the refrain sang on in my mind: “Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers, that you do unto me.”

“I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.’” (Matthew 25:36)

As I pulled into the driveway at St. Mark’s on that Sunday morning, I noticed the tidy little church sat on a somewhat large bit of property with a large paved circular driveway.  Off to the side I read a large sign proclaiming “Dump Daze—Saturdays at St. Mark’s.”  There’s a little story behind Dump Daze.  St. Mark’s is a small congregation comprising a diverse group of people, yet none of whom are overly financially well off.  So there isn’t a great deal of resources there to provide for those in need.  But the desire to do so is there in great abundance!  Now, the church is located on a normally quiet street, however, on a Saturday, it turns into a busy thoroughfare as town-folk pass by on their way to the dump just up the road apiece.  It occurred to the congregation that the front lawn and parking lot on a busy Saturday would be a great place for a yard sale; it would get a lot of attention from the passersby. So Dump Daze was inspired.  People from the community are invited to set up their own yard sale table so long as they take everything away with them when they are done.  Dump Daze has all the makings of a community flea market, and thus provides the congregation with a way to fulfill their need to provide for those in need.

more images from St. Mark's Church
Like most churches, St. Mark’s has a Pastoral Care ministry.  They have members who make hospital visits and call on the home-bound.  But special to their church is their prison visit ministry.  Springfield is home to one of the state’s seven correctional facilities, and in keeping with the words of Jesus in the Gospel of Matthew, the good folks at St. Mark’s want to be sure that those incarcerated are not forgotten or neglected. Holy Eucharist and the Word are brought to the prison each week for anyone interested in partaking.  But what makes this ministry stand out even more is the offer of a kind of Bible Study in which inmates can pose their questions and doubts without fear of condemnation. They are encouraged to think about the scriptures and the message and consider how the presence of God appears in their own lives.  Within this ministry, St. Mark’s was able to reach several inmates who chose to become baptized into the body of Christ.  Yet, this is not a source of pride in a job well done.  Rather it is a commitment just begun with these souls.  For now the responsibility continues in the expectation of supporting the newly baptized inmates in their journey in faith. And you have to imagine their faith to be a bit rocky this early on!

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?” (Matthew 25:37-39)


Is it more in keeping with the spirit of Jesus’ teaching to learn from his words and meditatively plan to fulfill his commandments?  Or is there more sincerity to be found in the spontaneous gestures of “random acts of kindness”?  I’m sure there is fodder for much debate in those questions.  But it seems to me that the congregation of St. Mark’s in Springfield acts in accordance with the stirrings of the Holy Spirit.   They may be deliberate in their ministries, but I experienced the truest sincerity in their actions.  The part of Jesus that resides in my heart smiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment